Friday, January 30, 2009

Leaving Zanzibar

Fishing dhows on their way to the market

I cannot say Zanzibar was a waste of time. In six days here I managed to complete an open water diver certificate, watch European fat tourists in their natural habitat, get a few recipes of local dishes, and do some physical activity. I am now in Nairobi, waiting for my flight back to Entebbe, then Amsterdam, then Lisbon. I might just go to Nairobi for a walk, after all there is a long wait ahead of me.

Yesterday I took the final exam to become a certificated diver. Seating by the beach, the water calling me, there was not a lot of motivation for a test. I ordered a beer to get some inspiration and it worked: 90% when 75% was the minimum required. I cannot wait for my next dive, hopefully next month in Australia.

The problem with diving for the first time in Zanzibar is that now it is very hard to find better diving spots. I am not going to dive in Boston to see lobsters and crabs in freezing water.

Later in the afternoon I discovered the only good thing about Neptune resort. While Debbie was sending emails and trying to change her flight, Cat and I sat on the bar surrounded by speedos and bellies, and ordered a cocktail. That led to an intricate problem. We did not have orange bracelets like everyone else, the all-inclusive scheme. But since everyone is all-inclusive, they didn’t take cash. Solution? Free drinks for the non-guests. There is something positive about these resorts, as long as I am not the guest.

The last meal in Zanzibar was a barbeque on the beach, my feet on the sand, the murmur of the ocean behind me, the smell of grilled nduaro and maize, Futari telling the story of her life. Maybe I will miss Zanzibar after all. Futari tried to make me promise that I would come back soon but I cannot do it. Who knows?

No comments: