Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Diving in Zanzibar

I arrive in Matemwe and ask for the diving school, they indicate a small hut with a sign ScubaLibre. It doesn’t look very legitimate but they have all the PADI certifications and, better than that, I can have an instructor for myself. Ted decides to join me and so we go, four days to take an open water diving course that, in theory, should allow us to dive by ourselves down to 18 meters. Sounds good.

The first day is theory and pool. Since there is no power here, we don’t have video capabilities so we have to read it all. That does not sound fun but what can we do? Reading on the beach is not exactly bad either. The pool exercises are fun. Emmanuel, the instructor, is a funny guy. His high-toned voice does not match his trimmed body but he’s got great communication skills.

Emmanuel, the diving instructor

But what I want is to go to the ocean and that happened today, after a few pool sessions. Mnemba Island is the place where everyone dives, with a coral reef around the island and extremely rich underwater life. Our boat looks crappy but sturdy, in the middle of all the other boats we look like the poor divers. Who cares? The water is astonishing, an irresistible diaphanous mantle.

Mnemba Island viewed from our boat
The boat crew
Our sturdy boat
The first open water dive is to get used to all the gear and to strengthen the skills we learned. We only dive in shallow water but even 5 meters underwater we can see an amazing amount of aquatic life. I cannot wait for the second dive, when we will go to 10-12 meters and actually dive around the reef. My expectations are high but the reality exceeds my best dreams, especially when we spot a giant turtle. Too bad I can’t ride it.

Just like Emmanuel said, after a while breathing through a regulator is like second nature, I don’t even think about it. I cannot wait for my next dive, this time to 18 meters.

No comments: