Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cultural clash?

You know you’re in a totally different world when you hear radio commercials like this.

Three women talking:
W1 – I don’t know what to do. I just got tested HIV positive.
W2 – Don’t panic, you should go to a doctor and start medication right away. I was tested HIV positive a few years ago and my doctor is optimistic.
W3 – However you should have been tested earlier. I was tested HIV positive very early and my doctor said that was crucial to save my life
W2 – Yes, being afraid of HIV is not a solution. Visit your nearest clinic and get tested. Early diagnosis can save your life.

Later when we got to Mbarara we saw these two gigantic banners by the side of the road.


Ugandans don’t bullshit, the message has to pass whatever it takes.

No comments: